Several months ago, I ran across a blog post at Heavenly Homemakers about making homemade vanilla. This sounded like fun, and a great gift idea too! So, I gave it a try. Here’s how to make your own homemade vanilla too:
2) Get vodka (I just got the cheapest there too! Took me a while to find the best sale in the liquor store, because I have never been there!) (I also found a post at GNOWFGLINS that used bourbon to make vanilla too – I think I’ll try that one next time) – I used 1.75L of vodka
3) Get a 1/2 gallon glass jar – I used a Ball 1/2 gallon jar
4) Cut the vanilla beans lengthwise but leave a 1″ space at the top. So they will look like wishbones. Stuff them in the jar
5) Pour the vodka in the jar and give it a big shake
6) Let the jar sit in a cool, dark place (mine is in the upper part of my pantry in the back), and shake around whenever the mood strikes you
7) Let sit for 6 months! (I’ll be a little shy of this for Christmas gifts, but I am planning on pouring my vanilla into small jars (I got the 8 oz ones), and then giving them as gifts with a little booklet of vanilla recipes (you can order that here at Heavenly Homemakers) and I’ll probably just stick a few of the vanilla beans inside the jar too so it can keep getting stronger – one of my homemade Christmas gifts!)
8) Use in your recipes and enjoy!
This is much cheaper than store-bought vanilla, and although this is my first time experimenting with vanilla, I have heard from others that the taste is MUCH better!
To your success,