This week for Minimalist Monday Mission: Declutter 365 I was working in the filing cabinet.
You know, it’s that wonderful time of year again… TAXES!
But, it’s also the same time that I clean out my filing cabinet each year. Since I have many of my files for tax purposes, it gives me a great excuse to go through everything and weed out the old and collect the rest for taxes.
This year, because of Minimalist Monday, and the fact that I will soon be digitizing many things in my office, I had to go through my filing cabinet with more of a fine-toothed comb.
Because of that, and because I spent the better part of the last three days doing taxes during my waking hours, I didn’t get to finish the entire filing cabinet this week. I did manage to get all of my documents out for taxes, put them in chronological order, and I also filed everything that I needed for my rental properties and businesses as well. The only things left to do is to transfer some files into long term storage and decide what I will be digitizing and add those files to my “scan” box for another week’s mission.
Here’s what my filing cabinet looked like before:
And I also had a box full of “to be filed” papers from my previous office decluttering:
And I’ll share after pictures next week when I finish the filing cabinet. I’m also aiming on doing one other area in my office as well, either the bookshelves or the built in storage area, so that I can catch back up and not be a week behind.
On a brighter note, I did get a bunch accomplished outside my office this week. I had a huge pile of stuff that had been removed from my craft table and desk, so I sorted through that pile, and took a big batch of things to Goodwill and also donated some other items to our local school. I also updated the Becoming Minimalist Sale listings, and managed to get a few other things listed (and some sold) on Craig’s List this week too. I also shredded a box full of paper from my previous office decluttering, and that yielded five bags of shredded stuff to use for packing material!
So, overall, it was a very productive week! My downstairs “command center” for all things being donated/sold is once again looking more civilized, and of course, I did get a great chunk of work done on my taxes. I’ll be finishing those up this week too.
One other exciting tidbit this week. I was so excited to hear that Joshua Becker of Becoming Minimalist, one of my favorite bloggers and authors, will be speaking here locally (we are, after all, practically neighbors) in a few weeks, and I can’t wait to go!
Total of items eliminated this week?
- Threw out/Recycled: 15 items
- Donated/Given: 176 items
- Sold: 21 items from my Becoming Minimalist Sale and on Craig’s List
- Threw out 304 items
- Donated 337 items
- Sold 191 items from my Becoming Minimalist Sale
TOTAL ITEMS: 832 items
Here’s where we are headed for the Minimalist Monday Mission: Declutter 365 in the next few weeks:
- Clothes (closet and dresser) – DONE!
- Master Bath Vanity/Cabinet – DONE!
- Nightstand and Top of Dresser in Master Bedroom – DONE!
- Kitchen Counters (main and island) – DONE!
- Kitchen Cabinets (upper) – DONE!
- Kitchen Cabinets (lower) – DONE!
- Kitchen Counters (by fridge) – DONE!
- Pantry – DONE!
- Fridge/Freezer – DONE!
- Kitchen Built In Cabinet – DONE!
- Digitizing Files
- Computer Files
- Office Desk Drawers – DONE!
- Office Desk Top
- Office Baskets (in, out, to do, vertical file) – DONE!
- Office Filing Cabinet – Part 1 – DONE!
- Office Filing Cabinet – Part 2
- Office Hutch – DONE!
- Office Bookshelves
- Office Craft Table – DONE!
- Office Built In Storage Area
- Laundry Room Shelves
- Laundry Room Corner Cabinet
- Laundry Room Table Area
- Guest Bedroom Closet (toy closet)
- Child’s Bedroom Closet
- Child’s Bedroom Closet
- Child’s Desk
- Children’s Clothes (upstairs)
- Guest Bedroom Dresser
- Guest Bathroom Vanity
- Linen Closet (lower shelves)
- Linen Closet (upper shelves)
- Play Room
- Living Room DVD Cabinet/Mantle/Entertainment Center
- Large Storage Closet
- Small Storage Closet Shelves
- Small Storage Closet Banker’s Boxes
- Downstairs Bathroom Closet
- Downstairs Play Room
- Screened In Porch Area
- Downstairs TV Area
- Downstairs Bathroom
- Mud Room
- Garage Left Side Shelves
- Garage Middle Shelves
- Garage Right Side Shelves
- Garage Tool Storage Cabinet
- Garage Floor Space
- Scrapbooking Supplies/Area
See you next week!
To your success,
This post is being shared at: