This week for Minimalist Monday Mission: Declutter 365 I started in a new area…the laundry room!
I am so excited to move on to another room! After finishing my office last week, I’m now moving on to the laundry room for a few weeks.
I chose the laundry room next because lately I have been stepping on a bunch of stuff whenever I do laundry, and it’s just annoying! And because I’ve always said that you should start with something that annoys you (good motivation!), I had the laundry room pretty high on my list (right after my office which was bothering me more!).
This week, I decluttered the shelves. While I didn’t bother to take before/after pictures of what was in all of my baskets that line the shelves, rest assured that I emptied each and every one, and cleaned and eliminated what I could before putting them back.
I’ve always had a decent organization system set up in the laundry room ever since I installed the storage shelves. I have plastic “baskets” that are used for storing items and each one is labeled.
While I was cleaning this week, I also made an inventory of my cleaning supplies. I did this similar to how I inventory my food, and that way I know what cleaning supplies and the type of supplies that I already have, so that I can use those first before purchasing any others. I’ve been known in the past to accidentally purchase another cleaning solution, only to find out that I already had something similar. So, just like I am using up the toiletries in my linen closet and the food in my pantry, I’m using up my cleaning supplies too!
Here’s the before:
Not much change, but I did manage to take a big basket of things downstairs to sort through for Goodwill. I’m planning on doing that after the entire laundry room is finished, so you won’t see any donations this week because I’m saving that until the end. I have found that sometimes if you are working on an area that may only take a week or two to complete, then you can just get the things out of the room that you know you will eliminate (except obvious trash, etc.) and then go through and decide what to sell/donate/give, etc. in a second round. I’m also doing it this way because we have a community garage sale coming up in a few weeks that I am pricing items for at the same time I sort.
Next week, I’ll be working on the two tables in the laundry room, and the floor space as well.
Total of items eliminated this week?
- Threw out/Recycled: 30 items
- Donated/Given: 0 items
- Sold: 30 items from my Becoming Minimalist Sale and Amazon
- Threw out 634 items
- Donated 545 items
- Sold 301 items
TOTAL ITEMS: 1480 items
Here’s where we are headed for the Minimalist Monday Mission: Declutter 365 in the next few weeks:
- Clothes (closet and dresser) – DONE!
- Master Bath Vanity/Cabinet – DONE!
- Nightstand and Top of Dresser in Master Bedroom – DONE!
- Kitchen Counters (main and island) – DONE!
- Kitchen Cabinets (upper) – DONE!
- Kitchen Cabinets (lower) – DONE!
- Kitchen Counters (by fridge) – DONE!
- Pantry – DONE!
- Fridge/Freezer – DONE!
- Kitchen Built In Cabinet – DONE!
- Digitizing Files
- Computer Files – DONE!
- Office Desk Drawers – DONE!
- Office Desk Top – DONE!
- Office Baskets (in, out, to do, vertical file) – DONE!
- Office Filing Cabinet – Part 1 – DONE!
- Office Filing Cabinet – Part 2 – DONE!
- Office Hutch – DONE!
- Office Bookshelves – DONE!
- Office Craft Table – DONE!
- Office Built In Storage Area – DONE!
- Laundry Room Shelves – DONE!
- Laundry Room Corner Cabinet
- Laundry Room Table Area
- Guest Bedroom Closet (toy closet)
- Child’s Bedroom Closet
- Child’s Bedroom Closet
- Child’s Desk
- Children’s Clothes (upstairs)
- Guest Bedroom Dresser
- Guest Bathroom Vanity
- Linen Closet (lower shelves)
- Linen Closet (upper shelves)
- Play Room
- Living Room DVD Cabinet/Mantle/Entertainment Center
- Large Storage Closet
- Small Storage Closet Shelves
- Small Storage Closet Banker’s Boxes
- Downstairs Bathroom Closet
- Downstairs Play Room
- Screened In Porch Area
- Downstairs TV Area
- Downstairs Bathroom
- Mud Room
- Garage Left Side Shelves
- Garage Middle Shelves
- Garage Right Side Shelves
- Garage Tool Storage Cabinet
- Garage Floor Space
- Scrapbooking Supplies/Area
What did you do this week to declutter??
To your success,
This post is being shared at: